Homeschool! Who Me?

Is Homeschooling Legal?

Yes, take a look at the SC Homeschooling Law .  Hit the link to be taken to that page of our site. 

Can I homeschool my child?

Legally?  Yes, in SC... IF you have a GED or High School Diploma.  See the SC Homeschool Law.

Confidently?  Again yes.  There are plenty of resources to help.  Workshops, support groups, teacher materials, books about how to homeschool, etc  are all available.

Can I teach children other than my own?

No... and ...Yes. 

You can only legally homeschool a child if you are the parent OR legal guardian (this must be in the form of a legally documented guardianship).  You may not homeschool a sibling, neice or nephew, or grandchild just because you are family.  You must have "legal guardianship".

You are the legal guardian and parent of an adopted child.  Check with your adoption agency if the process is not complete.

There is a provision in the SC Code of Law Section 59-65-46 which deals with
Home schooling of a foster child.   It states that a foster parent may teach a foster child at home as provided in Sections 59-65-40, 59-65-45, or any other provision of law, if, in addition to any other requirements, home schooling of the child has been approved by the Department of Social Services or other agency having custody of the child.

How do I get started?

1) Decide if homeschooling is for you, your family, and your child.

After careful consideration of your options and in full understanding of the responsibilities; if you have made the decision to homeschool, you must get registered under ONE of the three options as stated in the SC Law.

2) Register with an association.

If you have chosen to join PACESC as your accountability association, we welcome your application at any time during the year.

3) Withdraw your child from their present school.

See further information on this below.

4) Decide about the methods, curriculum, and materials  you will use to teach your children.

PACESC is very supportive of the parent's right to decide what is best for their child.  Parent-teachers enrolled under PACESC are free to choose whatever materials they determine are best for their students’ interests and learning styles. There are many different philosophies and methods to teaching.  There are also many, many sources of materials. You may purchase a formal curriculum package, use an eclectic approach which includes texts from different companies, use prepared unit studies, create your own unit studies, use an objectives checklist, use library books, or enroll in a correspondence school with or without full record-keeping services. The possibilities are limitless. The most important thing is that you use what meets your family’s needs.

PACESC can help with these decisions.   PACESC has curriculum counceling available.  We also have our own bookstore.  You can find the store at  We will not sell you what you do not need and will not limit our counceling suggestions only to those materials we sell!

Withdrawing your child from public school:

See "Dealing with the authorities" below.

What is required to home school my child?

  1. You must be the parent/ legal guardian and have at least a GED/ High School Diploma.
  2. Register under ONE of the three homeschool options.  See the SC Homeschooling Law pages of this website.
  3. Instruct each student for 180 days per year in the subjects of Math, Science, Social Studies, Reading, and Writing (in 7th-12th Grade add composition and literature.
  4. Keep a lesson plan or journal documenting what was taught on each of those 180 days and complete a semi-annual progress report covering the required subjects.
  5. Keep samples of your child's work.

Family members are bugging me about "Socialization"!!!

Information Coming Soon

***  Nothing we say or post is intended to be legal advice, and is distributed for information purpose only.  It is not intended to be and does not constitute the giving of legal advice.  For more information about the laws and regulations in SC, please contact your own attorney.***

Permission IS NOT granted to copy any information from this site without express written permission of the association.  Forms may be printed in their entirety for their intended purpose only.  Do not copy our logo for your own use!